Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Entry #15 - Mercadão

Yesterday, we went to the famous food market in Sao Paulo called "Mercadão." It's located near the famous shopping street called 25 de Marzo. It was definitely an all-around well organized and clean market, which was refreshing considering that markets aren't usually like this. 


Before going there, our professor taught us some basic phrases in portuguese so that we could ask for the name and price of any fruit or vegetables, or simply if we wanted to try any of them. Moreover, we were told that everything there was going to be overpriced, which is why they also taught how to bargain. I wanted to buy two mangostim so I told the seller how much they were and he told me 18 reais. It definitely was way more expensive than I expected, which is why I told him that I just wanted to get one, but he refused because he wanted to sell both. I was about to walk out when he told me that I could have both for 10 reais. Obviously, I took them, but I'm still not sure if that was a good price.



We were assigned to find at least 10 fruits and vegetables that we wouldn't normally find back home, take a picture and write their names. Also, we had to translate these names to English. I added some I already know just to learn their name in portuguese. Here they are:

Rambutão lichia - Lychee Rambutan

Caju - Cashew
Romã - Pomegranate 

Graviola - Soursop

Goaiaba vermelha - Red guava

Jabuticaba - Brazilian Grape Tree

Atemoia - Sugar-apple

Carambola doce - Sweet Starfruit

Noni - Cheese Fruit

Acerola - West Indian Cherry

Bruxelas - Brussels

Alho Negro - Black Garlic

Dekopon (No translation)
Azeitona chilenas - Chilean Olives
Shimeji Cogumelo - Shimeji Mushroom
Pitaia Colombiana - Colombian Pitaya

No comments:

Post a Comment